Wednesday 5 October 2011

The Last Day of the BEST DAYS OF MY LIFE


Before we knew it, it was already day ten.  Somehow, spring break had flown past us.  It was a lazy morning, or, at least, what we considered to be a lazy morning on the trip.  Breakfast wasn’t until 8:30 am and we didn’t have to be packed until 9:30.  We took a Team Elephant picture at the lodge, our first and last picture with everyone in it, including Trevor, Paul, and Elroy. 
(Team Elephant)

Then we loaded onto the truck and drove to the airport.
We had to cross over to Zambia to get to the airport, but this time the border patrol was a lot easier to get by.  We lined up to get our passports stamped, got harassed to buy some copper bracelets, and then were on our way. 
(In the aiport...but proof we went there)

Driving along the road we were hit hard by the most epic event of the entire trip.  We were driving in our truck.  We were listening to Shakira’s ‘Waka Waka’.  We were stopped by a herd of elephants crossing the road in front of us.  I felt emotions of shock and thrill course through my body.  This was surreal.  I was in Africa with some of the greatest people I had ever met and the road was being blocked by wild elephants!!! 
(Epic experience captured in a photo)

As we continued to the airport we listened to more ‘African’ songs and played drums on the table.
We reached the airport two hours before our flight from Zambia to Jo-burg, SA.  Everyone hugged Paul and Elroy, who were taking a later flight, and then shuffled through the lines at the miniscule airport. 
(Trevor, me, Elroy, Paul)

A group of us played ‘Asshole’ on the floor while we waited for our flight.  On the plane I studied my Differential Equations flashcards for the first time on the trip (I had a test the next day).  At the Johannesburg airport we all ate our last meal.  Everyone split off, but most of us went to Spur, which is kind of like South Africa’s version of Applebee’s.  My last meal of the trip was a cheeseburger, French fries (called chips in SA), and onion rings.  It hit the spot.
(Last meal of the trip)

Again I studied my flashcards on our flight to Cape Town.  Once there we collected our bags, said goodbye to the Stellenbosch girls, and hopped onto our bus to take us home.  What do you know, it was cold and raining.  Shocker.  The day was full of traveling, but it was still a great day, and a great end to the trip.  I couldn’t have asked for a more wonderful last day of the best days of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment